Presenter: Ellen Arnold, Ed.D.
6 Weeks | $139
Course Starts Monthly | Earn Graduate Credit or CEUs
Just 20 years ago, we didn’t see students with autism in our classrooms. But today, we teach children with high-functioning autism and Asperger’s Syndrome right alongside their neurotypical peers. Reaching and teaching these students requires a delicate balancing act: understanding how their brains are wired, helping them turn challenges into opportunities, and learning to enjoy the rich perspective they bring to the classroom.
If you’ve ever had a student who blurted out in class, screamed when someone patted his or her shoulder, or rocked back and forth in the chair, you’ll appreciate the lessons ahead. We’ll discover the neurobiology behind these disorders and the way it affects students’ behavior, learning, and thinking. Most important, you’ll learn creative, easy, low-budget strategies to help these kids succeed in the classroom and beyond.
Develop the skills to counter these students’ social awkwardness, sensory sensitivities, meltdowns, problems with homework completion, language reciprocity issues, and violent fixations. Even if you don’t have a student with high-functioning autism or Asperger’s Syndrome in your class this year, these strategies will equip you to deal with any student who exhibits these characteristics on a regular basis.
About SDE’s Online Courses
Whether you are looking to improve your professional teaching skills or explore a new interest, our online instructor-led courses showcase the expertise of leading presenters in a convenient, affordable, and fun format.
- Convenient: Teachers can sharpen skills, gain essential tools, and earn CEUs and/or graduate credits for applicable courses—right from their desktop.
- Flexible: Courses run for six weeks, start monthly, and are self-paced.
- Instructor-Facilitated: All courses are led by veteran educators, many of whom are nationaly-known authors.
- Cost Effective: A flat rate of $139 per course eliminates the need for in-service days or substitute teachers. Plus, group discounts are available by calling 1-877-388-2054.
- Relevant: Courses cover current teaching topics and feature the latest research-based teaching methods.
- Interactive: Instruction includes activities, resources, and discussion forums for communicating with the instructor and other participants. Teachers enrolled in a single course can form study groups to extend the learning.