Presenter: Anni Stipek
6 Weeks | $139
Course Starts Monthly | Earn Graduate Credit or CEUs
In this professional development course for teachers, you’ll get the training you need to start teaching model drawing, the powerful Singapore Math strategy that gives word problems a visual context. As a teacher, you know that many students groan when it’s time to solve word problems. Why is that? Are the problems too difficult? Do students get lost trying to decipher the wording or figure out the computation? Do they simply not know which strategy to use? Actually, it’s a combination of all these issues. Luckily, model drawing, a Singapore Math strategy for working word problems, will help your students start to enjoy math in a way they may never have before.
The secret behind model drawing is that it gives students a concrete, reliable set of seven steps that they can use to solve 80% of the word problems out there. They won’t have to memorize 20 different techniques and know when to use which anymore. Instead, they’ll learn how to read the problem, determine its variables, draw a unit bar (the visual model), adjust that bar, place the question mark to indicate what they’re solving for, do the computation, and write a complete sentence at the end.
Does it sound too good to be true? This six-week course will prove to you just how effective model drawing can be in your classroom!
About SDE’s Online Courses
Whether you are looking to improve your professional teaching skills or explore a new interest, our online instructor-led courses showcase the expertise of leading presenters in a convenient, affordable, and fun format.
- Convenient: Teachers can sharpen skills, gain essential tools, and earn CEUs and/or graduate credits for applicable courses—right from their desktop.
- Flexible: Courses run for six weeks, start monthly, and are self-paced.
- Instructor-Facilitated: All courses are led by veteran educators, many of whom are nationaly-known authors.
- Cost Effective: A flat rate of $139 per course eliminates the need for in-service days or substitute teachers. Plus, group discounts are available by calling 1-877-388-2054.
- Relevant: Courses cover current teaching topics and feature the latest research-based teaching methods.
- Interactive: Instruction includes activities, resources, and discussion forums for communicating with the instructor and other participants. Teachers enrolled in a single course can form study groups to extend the learning.