Presenter: Anni Stipek
6 Weeks | $139
Course Starts Monthly | Earn Graduate Credit or CEUs
When you say, “It’s time for math,” do your students roll their eyes? What teacher hasn’t dealt with that? It doesn’t have to be that way. In this course, you’ll master model drawing, a revolutionary technique for teaching problem-solving to middle school math students.
Model drawing is a core part of Singapore Math, a base-10 math program that forms the foundation of math instruction in Singapore. When you introduce model drawing into your classroom, your students will succeed with word problems, build math skills, and develop self-confidence. And they’ll even look forward to math!
You’ll learn how to use model drawing with many different types of word problems, including part-whole problems, word problems involving comparisons, and before-and-after word problems. You’ll also master advanced techniques to help you model more complex problems, and gain insights into how to guide students as they grapple with consecutive integers, remainders, percents, and problems involving rate and distance.
Finally, you’ll put it all together as you create your own word problems based on models provided in the course. You’ll even learn how to train parents in the basics of model drawing so they can help their kids continue to build their problem-solving skills.
Model drawing works—and it’s fun as well. Get ready to turn your math students into math lovers!
About SDE’s Online Courses
Whether you are looking to improve your professional teaching skills or explore a new interest, our online instructor-led courses showcase the expertise of leading presenters in a convenient, affordable, and fun format.
- Convenient: Teachers can sharpen skills, gain essential tools, and earn CEUs and/or graduate credits for applicable courses—right from their desktop.
- Flexible: Courses run for six weeks, start monthly, and are self-paced.
- Instructor-Facilitated: All courses are led by veteran educators, many of whom are nationaly-known authors.
- Cost Effective: A flat rate of $139 per course eliminates the need for in-service days or substitute teachers. Plus, group discounts are available by calling 1-877-388-2054.
- Relevant: Courses cover current teaching topics and feature the latest research-based teaching methods.
- Interactive: Instruction includes activities, resources, and discussion forums for communicating with the instructor and other participants. Teachers enrolled in a single course can form study groups to extend the learning.