Presenter: Marsha Spears
6 Weeks | $139
Course Starts Monthly | Earn Graduate Credit or CEUs
Around 30% of students in sixth grade already have trouble with basic reading and writing. These literacy problems affect performance across subject areas, and they often leave teachers wondering how to help. Get the professional development training you need to improve student literacy as an accomplished teacher shares the secrets of turning guided reading strategies into opportunities for teaching writing. The road to literacy is also the road to ingenuity, invention, and imagination, and you’ll soon learn how to take your students from groans to grins with creative lesson plans that really work!
We’ll start our journey by talking about the reasons reading and writing are so difficult for students. Then we’ll meet the total literacy framework and see how it mitigates literacy problems once and for all. Since this framework is based on guided reading lessons that flow naturally into writing challenges, you’ll learn the recipe for a successful guided reading into writing lesson.
Once the framework is in place, we’ll investigate a number of ways to modify this basic recipe for a variety of K-12 circumstances, wrapping up with a look at good writing habits and the traits of a productive writing conference. If you’re looking for the right way to get students excited about the power of literacy, this is the course for you!
About SDE’s Online Courses
Whether you are looking to improve your professional teaching skills or explore a new interest, our online instructor-led courses showcase the expertise of leading presenters in a convenient, affordable, and fun format.
- Convenient: Teachers can sharpen skills, gain essential tools, and earn CEUs and/or graduate credits for applicable courses—right from their desktop.
- Flexible: Courses run for six weeks, start monthly, and are self-paced.
- Instructor-Facilitated: All courses are led by veteran educators, many of whom are nationaly-known authors.
- Cost Effective: A flat rate of $139 per course eliminates the need for in-service days or substitute teachers. Plus, group discounts are available by calling 1-877-388-2054.
- Relevant: Courses cover current teaching topics and feature the latest research-based teaching methods.
- Interactive: Instruction includes activities, resources, and discussion forums for communicating with the instructor and other participants. Teachers enrolled in a single course can form study groups to extend the learning.