Staff Development for Educators is America's leading provider of
professional development for PreK through Grade 12 educators. Through our On-site PD, PD Events, Web-based PD, and PD Resources, we
empower teachers and administrators across the country with solutions to the most challenging issues they face.
We believe that educators have the most important job in the world. That’s why we’re dedicated to empowering educators with ongoing professional development that is not only research-based, innovative, and rigorous, but also practical, motivating, and fun. All SDE training is presented by the nation’s top authors and educational experts, with the goal of creating extraordinary classrooms that prepare our students for the evolving demands of the 21st century.
We believe that all students can learn when provided with developmentally appropriate instruction. We hold the highest esteem for the teaching profession and recognize that teachers learn best from other teachers.
Our mission is to develop long-term partnerships with educators that create meaningful improvement in student attainment, teacher fulfillment, and school success. We aim to fuel the flame that inspires teachers and leads to lifelong achievement.
We understand that professional development is a process, so we ensure each training session and/or publication adheres to instructional principles that lead to meaningful connections to the content and sustained application of the new learning.
- Research-based and classroom-tested content
- Practical and theoretical training
- Active and engaging participation
- Relevant and innovative instruction
SDE was founded in Peterborough, New Hampshire, in 1986 by Jim and Lillian Grant with the original goal of providing New England teachers the opportunity to learn the best techniques from the best teachers in the region. Motivated by Jim’s personal goal of helping to create classrooms where all students can succeed, SDE has grown to become one of the nation’s leading providers of professional development for PreK through grade 12 educators and administrators.
Since 1991, SDE has been a proud member of a family of companies owned by Highlights for Children, Inc. From magazine, trade-book, and textbook publishers to educational seminars for teachers, all members of the Highlights family of companies make a significant contribution to the education of children.
Founded in 1946, Highlights for Children, Inc., is dedicated to the belief that children are the world’s most important people. Every Highlights product helps children become their best selves and become confident, caring, curious, and creative individuals.
Founded by Highlights in 1990, Boyds Mills Press publishes high-quality picture books, fiction, nonfiction, poetry, science, history, and activity books for children of all ages.
Founded in 1888, Zaner-Bloser is a premier publisher of research-based handwriting, reading, spelling, writing, and vocabulary programs for pre-kindergarten through eighth grade. The company strives to create high-quality, dynamic, and appealing educational programs and services that inspire all students to become engaged, literate citizens. Ever able to adapt to the changing educational landscape, Zaner-Bloser Handwriting has been a national institution for several generations and the company continues to grow through the addition of technology products.
Founded in 1986, Stenhouse publishes books and videos that help K–12 teachers enhance their professional knowledge and build their students’ skills as readers, writers, and thinkers. All of Stenhouse’s titles, from reading and math comprehension to classroom management, are grounded in a philosophy of education that respects both teacher and learner and are designed to integrate theory, research, and practice in an accessible manner.
SDE is seeking highly motivated and enthusiastic individuals to join our team. We encourage an energetic and dynamic work atmosphere that inspires communication.
There are 2 easy ways to apply:
- Email your resume to: HR@sde.com
- Mail your resume to SDE:
Attention: Human Resources
10 Sharon Road
Peterborough, NH 03458
Staff Development for Educators (SDE, Inc.), a national leader in educational professional development, is seeking an Editorial Director, Events & Products in the Events & Products Department in our Peterborough, NH office.
The Editorial Director, Events & Products oversees the development and execution of professional development content for all of SDE's programs and products that supports business initiatives. The Editorial Director will manage Editors, Event & Product Mangers and is responsible for designing and developing content for seminars, conferences, institutes, web-based learning, books, manipulatives and other teacher resources for PreK-12 market.
Event & Product Development
- Lead the development of professional development strategies across content areas and delivery models (face-to-face, web-based learning, podcasts, books, manipulatives, etc.)
- Manage all aspects of the development of SDE's programs and products including evaluating, directing and approving the work of the content area teams.
- Collaborate with content area teams on the creation of sustained professional development program & product roadmaps
- Design program and products templates, tools and methodologies
- Establish writing guidelines and templates and monitor implementation of same
- Identify and implement new opportunities for growth such as new product ideas, new content delivery methods, etc.
- Direct team in the successful utilization of outside resources including authors, designers and development houses.
- Works in collaboration with VP, Events & Product Development and Program Product Managers to create annual Pub Plan that meets SDE's strategic objectives
- Develop and manage production schedule based on Pub Plan
- Facilitate Pub Council Meetings
- Develop, analyze, monitor and report critical program implementation metrics and make recommendations for appropriate changes when necessary
- Collaborate cross functionally with the development, implementation, marketing & selling of sustained professional development programs
- Successfully manage and negotiate partnership agreements
- Oversee event and publishing author/presenter acquisition and manage new and existing author/presenter relationships
- Manage the content development budget and all related expenses
- Maintain knowledge of the current trends in education including funding sources
- Act as a leader and mentor for content-area Program Product Managers, Editors and Program Planners ensuring the successful development of programs and products based on overview and learning objectives
- Manages daily priorities and activities of staff
- A BA in Education, or related field, or equivalent experience is required. The ideal candidate will have 7+ years' experience in editing professional development content for the K-12 market.
- A clear understanding of teacher needs and the role of professional development in education is essential, along with a broad vision of how to produce high-quality professional development materials.
- Established relationships with K-12 authors, illustrators, designers and related talent.
- The ability to manage multiple priorities and adhere to strict deadlines and content standards as well as the ability to manage large-scale projects and provide hands-on support to the team is also required.
- Trade show, event planning or conference planning & management experience is desired.
- Extensive staff management experience is essential.
- Strong acumen for numbers with expertise in budgeting.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills and a demonstrated ability to build relationship with internal and external customers.
- Excellent time-management skills and an ability to stay calm during critical situations.
If you're enthusiastic about growing both professionally and personally and impacting the learning experience of children in their classrooms, please submit a cover letter, resume and salary history to: SDE HR at HR@sde.com
Staff Development for Educators (SDE), a national leader in educational professional development, is seeking an Account Executive for the Southern territory.
The Account Executives (AE) will report to the VP Educational Partnerships or the Director of Educational Partnerships. SDE is currently in an expansion mode and the Account Executives are responsible for setting the strategic direction for their region, identifying and bringing in new business, preserving and nurturing existing business; territory research with a focus on bigger opportunities (sustained training, customized conferences, etc.) The Account Executives assess the client's PD needs and recommend solutions that incorporate SDE's products and services. Account Executives are expected to travel (up to 40-50%) within their assigned territories.
- Bring in new SDE clients by introducing SDE products and services to new potential clients in face-to-face meetings within their territory. Re-activate and maintain SDE client relationships with the goal of building long-term sustained partnerships.
- Work in collaboration with assigned Account Manager to close sales and deliver quality professional development that meets the client's needs. The AE follows-up with clients after on-site training has occurred to ensure successful implementation.
- The AE is responsible for territory forecasting and recaps, and having complete familiarity and understanding of clients/potential clients within assigned territory. The AE will summarize opportunities in their pipeline and reforecast on a weekly and monthly basis.
- The AE is required to become familiar with educational funding sources and opportunities within their assigned territory and using information effectively to build a sales strategy.
- The AE must develop an in depth knowledge of all SDE product lines including on-site PD, PD customized events, public event registration, PD Resources and on-line PD.
- The AE must be able to use SDE's CRM (MS Dynamics) system to enter opportunities, ensure data is up to date and be familiar with all in-house resources and reports.
The position requires an in-depth understanding of the K-12 education market and content areas; solution sales experience in K-12 education space; strong presentation and interpersonal skills; demonstrated attention to detail and strong follow-through; an ability to collaborate interdepartmentally; excellent communication skills, both verbal and written and an ability to travel up to 40-5%, as required, within their assigned territory. A Bachelor's degree in education and some teaching experience are both highly desirable.
If you're enthusiastic about growing both professionally and personally and joining a company that impacts the learning experience of children in their classrooms, please submit a cover letter, resume and salary history to:
SDE HR at HR@sde.com
Thank you for your interest in SDE. Please use the contact information below
SDE, 10 Sharon Road, PO Box 577
Peterborough, NH 03458 USA